An explosion inside a full London subway car Friday wounded nearly 30 people, with the Islamic State claiming responsibility for the terror attack.


Witnesses said they heard a loud bang during rush hour Friday that was followed by a gush of fire on the train at the Parsons Green station in southwest London.


Photos from the scene showed a burning white bucket wrapped in a plastic bag, which is suspected to have caused the explosion during rush hour at 8:20 a.m. local time. Officials believe the device had a timer,British media reported.


Witness Chris Wildish told Sky News that he saw “a massive flash of flames that went up the side of the train.”

Video sees London Bridge terrorists laughing ahead of attack

3TP NARCH/NARCH30 MNDTY

Emergency services responder to the scene following reports of a blast on a London Underground train at Parsons Green subway station in West London on September 15, 2017.

(@ASolopovas/Twitter via Reuters)


“I looked around and this wall of fire was just coming toward us,” Lauren Hubbard said.


The Islamic State later said through its news agency that a “detachment” was responsible for the blast.


More than 250 people were evacuated from the train during the underground chaos, London’s fire department said in a release.


The National Health Service said it had treated 29 people across four London hospitals. Eight patients treated at one central London hospital were later released, the facility said.

Police identify third suspect in London attack as Youssef Zaghba

Emergency services are on the scene following a blast on an underground train at the Parsons Green tube station in West London, Britain. The train reportedly filled with smoke before passengers on their morning commute were evacuated onto the platform.

Terror attack on the London tube


Many victims appeared to have “flash burns,” Metropolitan Police Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley told reporters.


The department’s counter terrorism unit took over the investigation Friday morning, he added.


No arrests have been made, police added, as teams scan surveillance footage for clues.


Terrorism experts said that photos of the homemade bomb’s remains, a plastic bucket wrapped in a grocery store bag, show that the improvised explosive device did not fully detonated aboard the subway, known as the Tube.

Imams from across Britain refuse to bury London Bridge attackers

+AUS,+DEU,+GBR,+ITA,+NZL,+USA

Pictures from the District Line train appear to show a burning plastic bucket stashed in a plastic bag.

(Splash News)


Passengers immediately rushed out of the train and on to the platform after being injured by the fire.


“It was panic stations — my initial thought was that the whole train would blow up,” victim Peter Crowley, whose head was burned in the fire, told the Telegraph.


“I saw passengers with facial burns, they had been exposed to a very, very hot fire for a nano second, it was lucky doors were open because everyone just got off the Tube.”


The United Kingdom’s terror threat has remained at “severe” during a string of terror attacks throughout Great Britain since March.

British police name 2 of 3 attackers behind London Bridge attack

An injured woman is led away by a first responder. 

An injured woman is led away by a first responder. 

(LUKE MACGREGOR/REUTERS)


It was raised to the “critical” level over fears that “a further attack may be imminent,” British Prime Minister Theresa May said Friday.


“Terrorism is a great challenge of our times, but by standing together,” she said, adding that more police and soldiers would soon be present on the streets.


London Mayor Sadiq Khan called for calm amid the latest security scare.


“As London has proven again and again, we will never be intimidate or defeated by terrorism,” he said in a statement.

American bystander reportedly shot during London Bridge attack


President Trump weighed in on the attack in four tweets, saying it was carried out “by a loser terrorist” and brought up his travel ban. The remarks were panned by May as well as Scotland Yard.


The commander-in-chief later called the blast a “terrible thing” and called May to offer his support.


Gov. Cuomo condemned the attack, adding state law enforcement would have an increased presence throughout New York’s transit system as well as airports, bridges and tunnels.

Armed police officers inspected the subway's cars after the blast. 

Armed police officers inspected the subway’s cars after the blast. 

(HANNAH MCKAY/REUTERS)


“The safety and security of New Yorkers is our number one priority, and we remain in close contact with local and federal officials,” Cuomo said in a statement. “We remain vigilant, and we stand with the people of London.”

Tags:
london
united kingdom
terrorism
theresa may
sadiq khan
donald trump
andrew cuomo
isis

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet



Source link