SINGAPORE – The police are appealing for information on a man who robbed a SingPost branch at Potong Pasir Community Club of $3,000 on Thursday afternoon (Feb 8).

There was no weapon involved and no one was injured.

The police said in a statement on Thursday that they received a report of the robbery at about 1.30pm.

The male suspect had walked into the branch wearing a white surgical mask and allegedly demanded that the female staff hand over all the money, the statement said.

“The female staff immediately ran into a room for safety. The male suspect then climbed over the counter and made off with about $3,000 in cash that was placed in the drawers.”

The male suspect was wearing a black cap, a black sweater, blue jeans and black shoes, and was also carrying a black sling bag.

He was last seen running in the direction of Upper Serangoon Road, along Potong Pasir Avenue 1.

When The Straits Times arrived at the community club at about 5pm, an area surrounding the SingPost outlet where the alleged robbery took place was cordoned off.

However, activities at the community club were still ongoing, with people seen playing badminton and reading newspapers. 

Cook Richard Low, who was waiting at the community club for a friend since 9am, said he saw a man wearing black walking past him quickly towards Potong Pasir Avenue 1 at about 1.30pm.

“But I didn’t know what he was up to or what he was doing, so I just continued to do my own things,” the 25-year-old said.

A bakery shop assistant, who works across the road, said she was shocked to hear that a robbery had taken place in the quiet neighbourhood. 

“The suspect must have been quite brave to do something like that, especially since there’s a police post right next to the community club,” said the woman, who wanted to be known only as Ms Chee. 

Police cordon at the SingPost branch at Potong Pasir Community Club on Feb 8, 2018. ST PHOTO: LIM MIN ZHANG

An eatery shop assistant, who gave her name as Ms Lim, said she did not see the alleged robber as the incident happened during the lunchtime peak hour when the shop was busy. 

“I believe he will be caught quickly, because he was already captured on camera, and the police here are very efficient,” she said.

At about 6.30pm, police officers were seen leaving the scene with evidence.

Police investigations are ongoing.

Anyone with information can call the police hotline on 1800-255-0000 or submit information online at

Source link