SINGAPORE – About 50 residents were evacuated after a fire broke out at the void deck of a HDB block in Toa Payoh on Tuesday (June 20) morning.

The blaze at Block 14A Lorong 7 Toa Payoh, which involved discarded materials, also damaged a gas pipeline.

It was put out using a dry powder extinguisher and compressed air foam, said a Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) spokesman.

A woman in her 60s was taken to Tan Tock Seng Hospital.

Get The Straits Times
newsletters in your inbox

The spokesman added that about 50 residents from levels two to six of the block were evacuated by the police.

SCDF was alerted at 4.51am and dispatched a fire engine, a red rhino and two ambulances.

When The Straits Times visited the block at 10.30am, construction workers were hosing down the affected area, which had been cordoned off.

The fire had damaged parts of the void deck’s ceiling, with exposed pipes and wiring seen.

A sign declaring that gas pipeline works were in progress was also put up.


A sign warning that gas pipeline works are in progress. ST PHOTO: REVATHI VALLUVAR  

Security guard Kumar Veerasamy, 52, was sitting at the void deck at around 3am when he smelled smoke and walked over to see a sofa burning. 

“There were other things there also like a mattress. I tried to move them away they wouldn’t burn, with the help of residents from upstairs,” he said.



Source link