Australian police said on Monday a 25-year-old man had been arrested and charged with allegedly supplying a firearm used in a deadly siege in Melbourne last week, which Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull called an “act of terrorism”.

FILE PHOTO: Australian police stand at the site of a siege at the Buckingham Serviced Apartments in Melbourne, Australia, June 6, 2017. AAP/Julian Smith/via REUTERS/Files

WELLINGTON: Australian police said on Monday a 25-year-old man had been arrested and charged with allegedly supplying a firearm used in a deadly siege in Melbourne last week, which Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull called an “act of terrorism”.

Victoria state police said in a statement on their website that the man had been charged with four offences and would appear in court on June 14.

The deadly attack took place on June 6 in Australia’s second-largest city with police shooting dead a gunman, Yacqub Khayre, after he killed a man in the foyer of an apartment block and held a woman hostage inside.

Turnbull said police were treating the siege as an “act of terrorism” after a claim by the Islamic State group that one of its fighters was the gunman responsible.

(Reporting by Charlotte Greenfield and Ana Nicolaci da Costa; Editing by Michael Perry)



Source link